Monday, April 6, 2009

My How-To Play the Harmonica

So I am finally done my harmonica video. It took a lot of time and patience, but it is finally completed. I tried to use the plethora of different things we learned through out the term. The beginning process, I had to read through the The Hal Leonard Book, to pick and choose the most vital information for the video. I then proceeded to make a script, putting it into my own words. I then asked my boyfriend to use his digital camera to take a series of videos of me demonstrating the correct techniques, notes on the harmonica and a couple of different ways to play the harmonica. You'll notice a few giggles here and there, and trust me there were many takes to try and correct those giggles, but when someone is making ridiculous faces it is hard to keep your composure. I used windows movie maker to put the videos into the series I wanted. I edited them to the best of my ability. Hopefully you will get a giggle too. I didnt want to make the video too long, because as we have discussed before, videos that are too long, lose the viewers interest. I used audacity of splice my background music. I thought it was really important to add some other media such as the pictures and music so the video did not get boring. So I searched on google and Flickr to find the right photos. Another way that I tried to do this was change angles and also scenes.As you can see I went outside for some of the shots. Instead of reading out the keys on the harmonica I thought it would be neat to draw them in chalk on my sidewalk. Even though the sun was pretty bright that afternoon, I think it turned out pretty neat. I really enjoyed making this video and I learned a lot from it. I tried my best to keep it as interesting as possible and use the most interesting information as possible as well. I will be honest though, when you watch this video you will not be able to play like the greats, however like everything else in this wrold, practice makes perfect and I think this is a great way to start!

2 comments:

  1. You're too cute, great video tutorial.
    I also liked the scene where you showed the notes drawn on the cement with chalk, or in the beginning when you were restrainning yourself from laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work Marcy. I think you succeeded in making this interesting throughout the entire video. I liked the way proivded visual and auditory examples. The sidewalk scale was awesome!Thanks for making me giggle. Keep on Rockin'

    ReplyDelete