Thursday, January 15, 2009

The first.

Yesterday, was my first experience with an online class.
I am still undecided if I fully enjoyed it or not. For these following reasons:
CONS
-I tend to get a tad worked up when things do not appear to be working for me. I get in sort of a panic, if you will. So, I was quite worried, when I was setting up my mic and that failed, and then my blog failed. But, a love of mine, that I was with at the time, who often encourages me to relax, helped me to do so, and figure some things out.
- It was quite fast paced. I was trying to set all of these things up, while listen and read the conversations happening as well.
-I was nervous and frazzled and wasn't able to ask the questions that I had. Others did ask some of things I was wondering, but I hope I do not get penalized for lack of participation to the degree of some of the others.
PROS
-I learned alot of new things, in which I had no idea about before. Though, the information is still a little bit fuzzy, I hope I'll be able to manage.
- I found it very neat that we could be speaking and learning from someone who is not only across the world, but has a new perspective.
- As a teacher in the works and artist I value opinions and perspective so I think this class will be a great host for both of those things.
So as you can see I am stuck with equal pros and cons. It is was nice to see people helping eachother out, I know I appreciated it. I think I will be ready to give it another go. Next time I will know what to expect and will be better mentally prepared. Thats all for now.

Believe, when you are most unhappy, that there is something for you to do in the world. So long as you can sweeten another's pain, life is not in vain.
-
Helen Keller

3 comments:

  1. Hey Marcy, i agree with all of your pros and cons based on last nights session. It was definitly scary but i also think that sometimes we need to experience the scary inorder for us learn something new. It's amazing to see how technology as developed over the years, i had no idea we could get to the point where we would be able to speak and see people all over the world. I'm sure you will do great now that you have experienced atleast once. Don't sweat the small stuff, it will come natural eventually;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Marcy,

    I'm glad you got your microphone and blog working; your blog is great so far! I did pretty well last night; I've already had a maintained a Delicious account for a few months now and I'm pretty sure I've figured out Google Reader/RSS, so if you need any more help, feel free to email me or talk to me in our of our other classes.

    I agree that things went by fast though; I'm glad that we can save the chat file to our computer and that Dean posts the recorded session on our class website.

    Anyway, I hope the next session will be easier to keep up for all of us; 455 probably won't be there and I'm sure the less people in the session, the easier it is to follow along.

    See you later,

    -Robin
    howell4r@uregina.ca
    http://metro-racer.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. What Nicole said. ;-)

    Technical issues are most frustrating for as well, knowing others may not be having the full experience. Unfortunately it's the one I have least control over.

    The pace is most frantic the first half of the year. I'm concerned about the fact I've cut the sessions by an hour. I'll be watching that closely.

    Great feedback. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete