Wednesday, February 25, 2009

miles and miles away.


Hey everyone, as Robin just did, I'll give an update on my mentorship. It is going really well. I am helping 3 groups of about 5 English students from Maura Moritz's class. They have class every tuesday and thursday and send me their essays over Google Docs. I reply back to them the same way. As I said before they are writing essay on the novel " A Brief Moment in the life of Angus Bethune". They are sending me their essays and I am to give them feedback. So far their essays are wonderfully done. I have been telling them what i have learned throughout the years about writing essays. Such as, supporting your statements with evidence from the book such as quotations. Also, using corect transitions and exlpaining to them that each word they choose to put in their essay, must be put there for a reason other than to fill up space.I am giving them praise and constructive criticism that they can take if they wish. I really enjoy reading their essays and they have done such a good job, I feel like I have read the book. They are not quite finished yet, as I think some revision for proper grammar and some more quotations is needed. I enjoy helping them out even if I am not an English major. I feel like I have some good insight into essay writing since being in University and hope that my advice will help them with this essay and in the future.
Anyhow, I am missing home today, so I think I will go and listen to some Buddy Miles to fit my bluesy mood.


Knowledge is not the same as wisdom;
wisdom is the application of knowledge.
-Heather Kaitlyn Barclay

2 comments:

  1. Never heard this song before, but thoroughly enjoyed it. I send you virtual hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are really helping your mentorship students by passing on your knowledge to them. I'm glad it's working out so well!
    -Robin

    ReplyDelete