Wednesday, February 25, 2009

facebook frenzy and final project


I understand that facebook has become a universal way of communication. I understand that my students in the future will probably use facebook. I think as being a teacher it may be a good tool to use, as I know I use it on a daily basis. I would be able to communicate with my students outside of class, on a seperate account. I am worried about the industrial revolution, but I know that I ahve to embrace it. When we were talking in our group, I had said that when I was a child, I was given and piece of paper and crayons and was let free. Instead with todays age it seems as if students are prohibted to a paint by numbers. Their imaginiation in constricted to technology and hopefully I am wrong. Creatity may get lost and that is what worries me.
Alan Levine also seems to be worried about stiffling creativity. I really enjoyed his presentation, here is his blog: http://cogdogblog.com/
For my final project I will be making a tutorial video on how to play the harmonica. I have been learning how to play for my Aesthetic Education class, and I think it would be really neat to combine technology to it. Dean suggested that I use imovie, but I am not too sure. I am thinking that I will look at the different options Alan Levine gave us. There are many options so I'll have to do some exploring!
I know some of you are feeling overwhelmed with school right now. But there isn't much longer left to hang in there, and maybe this will help.

Oh, busy ones, whose souls grow faint,
whose tasks seem longer than the day?
It doesn't take a cloistered saint
to find a little time to pray.
-Author Unknown

2 comments:

  1. Cool post Marcy! Good luck on your project; I think the hardest part will be choosing one of the 50+ different ways... maybe you'll have to make a couple! Haha, enjoy the weekend,
    -Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Facebook is pure-evil (thats as far as I'll discuss that matter), but I'm guilty of using it on a regular basis.

    As an "Art" teacher, I think it's impossible to eliminate creativity from the classroom. I've watched many videos, and read many blogs about how students are being taught to "colour by numbers", but I won't/can't believe it. If I was teaching a math class (oh those poor students...) I would morally be abliged to incorporate some sort of creative thinking into the lesson, or else I probally would not be able to teach for more than a day (I'd be insane on day 2). As we move into this techology dominated world, I think its important to remember techology can be used creatively. When my DVD player broke down, I took it apart and made a "Micro-Bot" with all the tiny pieces and some glue. I'm sure there are many other uses for technology to benefit creative/"non-machine" type projects.

    I can't wait to see your tutorial on the harmonica. I would also suggest using Imovie (if you have a Mac) or Adobe Premiere (Windows), they each have a wide variety of tools and functions that could help you make a very slick video. I used Adobe Premiere to edit "Funky Monkey"

    Now sorry for this, but I have to go English teacher on you (I need to start rewiring my brain for the summer! :D) I know this is just a blog but I'm going to give you a warning on your spelling. The "errors" are just from a lack of proofreading (who actaully proofreads a blog before its published though?). Next time I catch you making too many spelling errors, I'll make you write lines on the smart board! heehe jk

    ReplyDelete